The Mission of the New England Philharmonic, a volunteer orchestra, is to foster the composition and the appreciation of contemporary classical music by performing commissions and recent works alongside traditional repertoire in concerts that engage and electrify audiences.
This Mission is brought to life through our Core Commitments to:
- Present at least four public concerts annually, in which each program combines both new and less familiar traditional classical music, including many Boston, U.S. and world premieres
- Foster and promote the development of new music by maintaining a Composer-In-Residence program and inviting composers from around the world to participate in an annual Call for Scores
- Provide performance opportunities, musical education and orchestral training to musicians through the full concert programs and a Chamber Players initiative launched in 2015
- Build young audiences through the Chamber Players’ community outreach programs for children: ‘Meet the Instruments’ series for strings, brass and woodwinds, and a demonstration program ‘How Musicians Communicate without Speaking’, and by holding a Young Artist Competition annually, the winner of which performs with the full orchestra on the program of the annual Family Concert.
- Operate in a fiscally responsible manner to ensure long-term viability