Young Artist Competition
The New England Philharmonic has held a Young Artist Competition each year since 1994. Each year’s winner performs with the New England Philharmonic on the program of the annual Family Concert in December at Boston University’s Tsai Performance Center.
Our 2018 Young Artist Competition has passed.
Congratulations to our winner, Luke Henderson!
LEARN MORE >
Each musician candidate must meet all of the following requirements:
- Candidate shall not have reached their 18th birthday by the scheduled performance date.
- Candidate must not have graduated from high school prior to the scheduled performance date.
- Candidate must be a resident of New England.
- Candidate must not have been a previous first place winner of NEP’s Young Artist Competition.
- Candidate must be available for at least two rehearsals, dates to be determined.
- The Young Artist Competition is open to all orchestral instruments including piano, harp, saxophone, percussion.
- Candidates should prepare and memorize a concerto, a movement from a concerto, or other piece for soloist with orchestra, not to exceed 15 minutes in length. It is unlikely that a candidate will be given the opportunity to perform the entire movement s/he has prepared. In some cases, judges will ask for specific sections from the prepared material.
- Auditions will be adjudicated by a small panel composed of the Music Director and musician(s) from the orchestra. The panel will make a decision within a week following the competition, and the winner and finalist(s) will be announced at that time. Judges’ comments will remain private.
- Candidates must provide their own accompanists.
- Candidates must acquire approval from their teacher by providing their name and signature on the application form.
- To help defray the costs associated with the competition, candidates must remit a $30 application fee with their applications.
- All applications and fees need to be received by a date to be determined.
- Auditions will not be scheduled until the $30 application fee is received.
How to Take Part
To sign up for auditions, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the application form.
- Mail the completed application form and a check in the amount of $30, made payable to the New England Philharmonic.
Please mail to the following address:
New England Philharmonic
c/o Young Artist Competition
P.O. Box 231168
Boston, MA 02123
You will receive an email notification when the application and application fee are received, and a follow up email with the audition time. For any questions, please contact the General Manager of the New England Philharmonic at email@example.com